• Do you Play DayZ, World of Tanks or STO? Why not visit our Partner website The Good Stuff Clan and join the gaming goodness they have to offer, click here to join their discord

Other 'Lifetime' membership

LSDeep

Beach Bum
Site Administrator
Reaction score
DS Credits
138,691D$
since i get messages all the time asking for just that - lifetime membership...
there is a simple point for not offering that. we don't get lifetime 'membership' of our hosting providers. however, we have to cover the 'bills' still every month.
just put yourself in our 'situation' - bills coming in every month, you have members that paid the 'forever' membership... how much should we charge you since we have no intention to "up the site a little" and sell it... basically, we hope to be here in 2, 5, 10 years and beyond for you.
simple calculation. say we are here for 10 yrs, you want 'lifetime' VIP membership... that's $5 a month - makes it $60 a year - makes it 10 years $600 (all without any discount). let's say we give you 1/3 discount for it... we would charge you $400! would you pay that? - nope you wouldn't (barely anybody in his right mind would - incl. me), cause you (or us for that matter) think in terms like that!
who knows what is going on that far ahead. on the other hand, we can't charge you 'peanut fees' for lifetime membership... the bills still coming in every month.
and straight forward, we pay a lot of them ourselves at this point as it is! so, nope! - no lifetime VIP memberships foreseeable at the moment, cause we would potentially "fuck" ourselves in terms of paying bills.
you may like that, or you don't, just think about it from the 'provider end' - it doesn't make sense... if you are not into providing the forum for short time and sell for financial gain after that.

cheers, L

p.s.: happy to hear about your views/ ideas how and why 'lifetime' could work etc. and discuss your genius ideas how to make it work... ;)

LSDeep

Beach Bum
Site Administrator
Reaction score
DS Credits
138,691D$
That makes a lot of sense to me. Not saying I like it, but it makes sense.
thx, somebody uses his brains LOL. aside from it, expand why it makes sense to you! feel free to expand on why you don't like it as well.

cheers, L

LSDeep

Beach Bum
Site Administrator
Reaction score
DS Credits
138,691D$
btw, let me give you a really simple example.
as i said - just a simple example!!!!
hosting cost per month is $10. the forum has one paying member who pays $10 a month - at this point hosting runs +/- $0. now the member can pay $200 for lifetime membership and does so. the forum would be able to pay the hosting for 20 month (not even 2 years). we just assume the one member is where it stays - after 20 month that member has still access on his vip level, all further cost falls to the ppl that host the forum for him!
does that make any sense? nope, it doesn't... and that's why we can't offer any lifetime membership! :)

cheers, L

Speed

V.I.P. XL
Reaction score
DS Credits
317D$
But you don't have just one member. You could also facilitate advertising. I still see some logic, but it could be financed more efficiently.

• Sad
Reactions: LSDeep

LSDeep

Beach Bum
Site Administrator
Reaction score
DS Credits
138,691D$
But you don't have just one member. You could also facilitate advertising. I still see some logic, but it could be financed more efficiently.
you miss the point here completely! we have very few paying members to start with. we also make a big point out of it NOT to have advertising etc. running on DS. sure, we could plaster the site with google ads, other ads, pop-over and -under crap plus paid (for us) links to downloads and other content.
we DON'T do that because it is annoying (as everybody knows). we somehow still hope that members exist that at least participate, share/ provide content. or at best become members/ or just donate some money to keep it going/ advertising free.
i know we have a couple ads for companies we use as well, friends of ours... many ppl not even see them (like you!) cause they decided to become VIP.
but you really want to be plastered with that shit front, back and beyond, because it 'pays the bills'???
not our idea!

cheers, L

• Wow
Reactions: Speed

LSDeep

Beach Bum
Site Administrator
Reaction score
DS Credits
138,691D$
i/ we could just shut it down. i wouldn't sell it and i don't trust anybody to keep it running the way it is and toss money in to keep it that way.
so, i am fucked! kinda damned to keep it running or shut it down altogether.

cheers, L

Speed

V.I.P. XL
Reaction score
DS Credits
317D$
i/ we could just shut it down. i wouldn't sell it and i don't trust anybody to keep it running the way it is and toss money in to keep it that way.
so, i am fucked! kinda damned to keep it running or shut it down altogether.

cheers, L
Fatalistic! :sick::rolleyes::coffee:

PsychoDaleic

Valued Member
Reaction score
DS Credits
2,285D$
we could plaster the site with google ads, other ads, pop-over and -under crap plus paid (for us) links to downloads and other content.
and we would like this ...HOW MUCH.......????

Ce dessinateur a détourné l'univers Disney façon « rebelle » et le résultat, plutôt trash, est...jpg

And you know what they say...... 'The TITANIC IS UNSINKABLE' ....really don;t know what the Hell that has to do with anything....I need my MEDS.....NOW....

aaalloooooooha,

PsychoDaleic

Valued Member
Reaction score
DS Credits
2,285D$
Rather than a lifetime membership, if a person just wants cheap stuff.... If you download a resource that you use in a commercial/production way; once in a while, why not buy a Premium membership of your choice for 50% of what the publisher is asking for the resource. Just an idea.

Another thought.... My Yootheme subscription is $60/yr, Akeeba Backup is €50.00 /yr A good deal for both (50% Off) could buy you about a year of VP status. Great Deal I'd say.
Want to ease some of the burden and keep the site around without sharing, this might be the ticket....

Aloha,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock